Koans

edited October 2015 in Mystery
Why Bodhidharma has no beard?

https://thebamboosea.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/the-moon-through-a-crumbling-window-haso-no-tsuki-yoshitoshi.jpg?w=900

Koans

A kōan (公案 ? )/ˈkoʊ.ɑːn/; Chinese: 公案; pinyin: gōng'àn; Korean: 공안 (kong'an); Vietnamese: công án) is a story, dialogue, question, or statement, which is used in Zen practice to provoke the "great doubt" and test a student's progress in Zen practice.

Teachers may probe students about their kōan practice using sassho, "checking questions" to validate their satori (understanding) or kensho (seeing the nature). For the mu-koan and the clapping hand-koan there are twenty to a hundred checking questions, depending on the teaching lineage. The checking questions serve to deepen the insight of the student, but also to test his or her understanding.

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Before global spiritual death, training and exercises of these kinds were still feasible. However, TV, cell phones and the internet took it all away!

• The last place one would find a REAL Zen Master is inside a Zen Monastery! Don't get taken in by all the bright lights, sets, costumes and make-up! The world is a stage!

• Its a shame the beautiful things are getting lost.

lazyness and mediocrity are taking over, indeed.

Faith stills on the ekayana, how someone could go beyond all those barriers? personally theres some kind of trauma about meditation, last time was not that good. 
  • edited October 2015
    What is Ekayana? Yes, mediocrity is rampant. People can't even calculate simple mathematics nowadays.
    Seriously, though. If you owe me 32.80 and you give me a 100 dollar bill the change is obviously 67.20. And people need calculators for that now!
  • You know how difficult music is, Oskr. Real musicians literally spend six or so hours practising their instruments every day, and a lifetime of discipline is required to simply be a bit decent.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qLRoqDqoXek
  • Discipline is the greatest attribute a person can have. Period. Patience and discipline obviously go hand in hand, as humility is required in order for discipline to be of any use.
  • edited October 2015
    Man is to be known in three ways:
    As inferior, mediocre and excellent. [4]

He who by any means whatsoever
    Provides for the pleasures of Saṃsāra
    For himself alone,
    Is called an inferior man. [5]

He who turns his back to the pleasures of the world
    And abstains from evil deeds,
    But provides only for his own peace,
    Is called a mediocre man. [5]

He who seriously wants to dispel
    All the misery of others,
    Because in the stream of his own being he has understood the nature of misery,
    Is an excellent man. [5]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yana_(Buddhism)
  • Can't like your comment, Oskr!
    But I can say
    ME GUSTA
  • Gracias amiga, es bueno poder Compartir.
  • By the way, and I have to say this, THIS FORUM ROCKS! So much better than those Facebook discussions! Coolest thing ever! More freedom to talk and everything.
  • ok... whether YOU answered my request ... not to use the word "dullards" in HERE, & YOU know what YOU said, LUNA ...(i can't find the topic anymore, & i'm les' time , HERE & NOW...)

= YOU forgot another 3 words ... WE HAVE TO use in this forum:

dick, cum & blow-job